GAA President, John Horan, has called on the Association’s membership to
light a candle this Saturday, November 21, in memory of the 14 people who
were killed in Croke Park on Bloody Sunday in 1920 by British Forces.

As O’Tooles had 12 players involved in the Dublin team on that fateful day,
we send out a special request to all members, current and past, and all
those associated with the club in any way, home and away, to light a
candle this Saturday evening at 6.00pm in honour of those 14 fans who set
out that morning simply to watch a football match. They were :-

Jane Boyle aged 28 who lived with her sister May and her family at 12
Lennox Street in Portobello, the heart of the Jewish neighbourhood near
Dublin city centre. Jane worked as a chargehand at Speidel’s Pork Butchers
on Talbot Street. She attended Croke Park on 21st November with her
fiancé, Daniel Byron. They were due to be married the following Friday at
St. Kevin’s Church on Harrington Street. Jane and Daniel were moving
towards the exit at St. James Avenue when they were caught in the crush.
Jane died from a bullet wound on her back. Her jaw, right clavicle and rib
were also fractured. Her body was formally identified at the Mater
Hospital by her brother James.
Jane was buried in her wedding dress and laid to rest in Glasnevin Cemetery.

James Burke aged 44 who lived in Windy Arbour and worked in Terenure
Laundry. He was married to Annie and they had five children. He was
caught in the crush as spectators fled towards the Croke Park exits.
James’ death was recorded as being due to shock and heart failure. His body
was formally identified by his wife Annie at Jervis Street Hospital.
James is buried in Churchtown.

Daniel Carroll aged 30 who was originally from County Tipperary. He had
moved to Dublin and worked in the licensed trade, managing a pub for Martin
Kennedy in Drumcondra. His sister May lived near the top of Clonliffe Road
and Daniel supported her from his annual salary of £120. He visited her
regularly on his way to work or after a match in Croke Park. Daniel was
walking away from Croke Park when he was shot in the thigh, the bullet
severing many blood vessels. Daniel died on Tuesday 23rd November – the
13th victim of Bloody Sunday.
He was buried two days later in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Michael Feery aged 30 who lived in Gardiner Place with his wife and son.
He fought with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and survived the trenches of
World War One before joining the Royal Marine labour corps. In 1920, he
was unemployed and made money from doing odd jobs. Michael Feery died from
a thigh wound after he became impaled on a spike while trying to flee the
shooting in Croke Park. He died in a house on Russell Street. His body lay
unclaimed for five days in Jervis Hospital morgue. At the time of his
death, Michael was wearing his old army fatigues.
The exact last resting place of Michael Feery is not known. He is buried
along with 35,000 others in a mass common grave now covered with verdant
grass in the St Paul’s cemetery extension of Glasnevin.

Michael (Mick) Hogan aged 24 from Grangemockler was the only player to be
killed at Croke Park on Bloody Sunday. He was the corner back on the
Tipperary team and came from a farming background.
Hogan was marking Dublin’s star forward Frank Burke of UCD on the day. He
was shot in the back as he crawled along the pitch to escape the shooting.
In the aftermath Hogan’s teammate Ned O’Shea identified the body and
Tipperary priest Fr. Crotty knelt beside him to say an Act of Contrition.
Hogan’s body was taken to the Mater hospital and his mother at home in
Tipperary was informed of his death by two local priests.
In 1925 the GAA named the Hogan Stand at Croke Park in his honour.
He is buried in Grangemockler, Co. Tipperary.

Tom Hogan aged 19 was the youngest of seven children born to Patrick and
Elizabeth Hogan in Tankardstown, Kilmallock, County Limerick. Before the
age of 11, Tom had lost both his parents and his eldest sister, Katie, the
only member of the family to have a child. Tom’s other sister, Maggie,
left her job and came home to take care of the family. Tom joined the
Volunteers and moved to Dublin where he lived at St James’ Terrace in
Dolphins Barn and worked as a mechanic by trade.
On Bloody Sunday, Tom was shot in the shoulder and admitted to the Mater
Hospital in a critical condition. His right arm was amputated and gas
gangrene set in after the operation. Tom Hogan succumbed to his injuries
at 6.30pm on Friday 26th November. He was the 14th victim from Croke Park
on Bloody Sunday.
He is buried in Dromin graveyard in Kilmallock.

James Matthews aged 48 worked as a day labourer and lived in a tenement
house on North Cumberland Street with his wife, Kate and family. James
suffered a gunshot wound to the leg.
Following a funeral mass in the Pro-Cathedral on Marlborough Street, James
Matthews was buried in Glasnevin cemetery.

Patrick O’Dowd aged 57 lived on Lower Buckingham Street with his wife Julia
and two children. He worked as a labourer with Clarke’s Builders in
Fairview. Patrick was shot as he helped people over the wall on the east
side of the ground into the adjoining Belvedere sports field.
He was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Thomas Ryan aged 27 was a native of Glenbrien in County Wexford. He lived
on Viking Road in Arbour Hill with his wife and two children and worked as
a labourer for the Gas Company in Dublin. As an IRA section commander,
Thomas Ryan received word at home on the morning of Bloody Sunday of the
earlier events on the other side of the city. Despite a warning to stay
away from Croke Park that day, Thomas went along to the game. When the
gunfire started, he ran to downed Tipperary player Michael Hogan and
whispered an Act of Contrition in his ear before he was hit with a bullet
himself and slumped to the ground. Thomas Ryan later died at Jervis Street
He was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery.

James Teehan aged 26 was originally from Tipperary but lived and worked
with his brother John in his public house on Green Street. James was
crushed by the crowds as he tried to escape the shootings in Croke Park and
was pronounced dead on admission to Jervis Street Hospital.
James was buried in Ballinalacken Cemetery, Glengoole, Tipperary.

Joe Traynor aged 20 was the second son of Michael and Kathlyn Traynor. A
keen footballer, Joe was captain of the Young Emmets team in Inchicore. He
had cycled to Croke Park with friends on 21st November and was on the Canal
End terrace behind the goals when the shooting started. Despite being shot,
Joe was assisted over the wall and carried through Belvedere sportsfield to
the Ring family home in Sackville Gardens. Joe lay on a table in the Ring
home, conscious but bleeding heavily. The Rings carried Joe down a laneway
from their house and he was picked up by ambulance on Sackville Avenue
.Patrick Cassin, House Surgeon at Jervis Street Hospital, confirmed that
Joe had been shot twice in the small of his back and died about one hour
after admission.
Joe Traynor is buried in Bluebell Cemetery in Dublin.

Jerome O’Leary aged 10 was the youngest victim of the shootings at Croke
Park. He came from nearby Blessington Street and was the second child of
Cork natives Jerome and Ellen. Young Jerome was shot through the head as he
sat watching the match on a wall behind the canal goal. He was taken to the
Mater hospital.
He is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

William Robinson, known as Perry, was eleven years old on Bloody Sunday. He
was a local from Little Britain Street and his father Patrick was a
labourer and a champion handballer. Perry had climbed a tree at the corner
of the Canal end on Jones’ Road to view the match. The first shot fired in
Croke Park went into his chest and through his right shoulder before he
fell to the ground. Perry was carried away from the grounds in his
blood-soaked jersey and put in a cab to Drumcondra hospital. His family
were at the hospital on the morning of Tuesday November 23rd when they were
told he had died. His funeral mass was at Halston Street Church and he was
on buried on November 26th in Glasnevin Cemetery.

John William Scott, aged 14, known as Billy, grew up on Fitzroy Avenue in
the shadow of Croke Park. A ricocheting bullet ripped through his chest
during the random shooting. The damage was so bad that it was initially
believed to be a bayonet wound. Billy was taken to Mrs Colman’s house on St
James’ Avenue and laid on the table. He was bleeding from the chest but
still alive and he asked for his mother. He died 45 minutes later. His
father, John, arrived at the house where Mrs Colman gave him Billy’s tie
pin and glasses to confirm the death.
He is buried in Glasnevin cemetery.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamnacha dilse